Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Miracles of a Modern Medical System

So, yesterday I went in for my appointment. I was hoping to get a diagnosis at this point, however, Kaiser's way of doing things is to first set you up with a counselor. I had to go all the way to Hollywood for my appointment, since they don't have a psychiatric services department in Pasadena.

I was late getting there. I was really trying not to be but the traffic was terrible, even at 10:30am. I finally arrived at around 11:15 for a 11am appointment. The counselor came out and rushed me in. I had to fill out my paperwork later since we didn't have much time left. We spoke and I described what brought me there and gave her kind of a rundown of the history of my issues and why I think they're caused by ADHD. She took out the DSM IV and started asking questions. They were familiar because at this point I'm familiar with the clinical diagnostic criteria for the disorder. She also ran through some other conditions. Then she asked me if I had considered seeking someone to get medication. I told her that I hate the idea of walking around medicated, but I'm open to it at this point. So, she scheduled an appointment for me with an actual psychiatrist. But the earliest appointment I could get is March 23rd. That's almost two months from now. That is completely ridiculous. I had to wait two weeks for an appointment with someone who's only value was to send me to someone else whom it will take nearly two months to see. So in the meantime I'm just stuck. I know I have a problem, but do to the inefficiencies of my HMO, I stuck sitting on my hands.

Of course, I'm not sitting on my hands. I have an inability to sit on my hands. So even if I end up running in place, I'll be trying to make changes. I know what's wrong now. For 25 years I didn't. Now I finally have an explanation. I can start doing the things short of medication to help myself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment