Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Coping: Part I - My New Best Friends

According to Hallowell, the keys to coping with ADHD are finding the right mate and finding the right job. I am absolutely certain I do not have the right job. However, I cannot afford to just up and quit. Ideally I would have my own business. I can work on that. But in the meantime, I still need an income and health insurance. So, I must find ways to manage at my current job for the time being.

Medication will help, hopefull, when I'm able to see a doctor and get a prescription. But there are things I can do in the meantime to help me focus. For one, to cut down on distractions from abnoxious noisey neighbors and an obnoxious cubical-mate, I introduce to you the earbud headphones.

These are not your run-of-the-mill, iPod-style earbuds that fall out of your ear when you move and give you an ear-ache. I find it necessary to get the high-quality ones with that form a seal inside your ear and block out unwanted noise. They can even be used to dampen ambient noise when music isn't playing. They're a long way from noise-cancelling headphones, but if you don't want to spend $200 on a set of those, these fit the bill just fine. They also work for blocking the ranting of random psychopaths on buses and trains. All I need is these and a smooth jazz or soul album on my iPod to keep me from wanting to throw my deskchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment